Sunday, February 24, 2013

Week Seven Response


     Knowing what is going on in the world is extremely important.  It wasn't until I was in High School that this became really important to me, and I think that is because all through elementary and middle school we were never taught about world events.  I think that is probably because adults feel there is a greater need for teaching students other things rather than whats going on in the world.  While I completely agree that there are certain events in the world that are not appropriate for children; however, I also believe that we should try and explain as much as we can what is going on in the world around us to these kids. One way to explain these events to kids or to make it maybe even more fun for them to want to learn is using maps.  
     I think it would be really fun to out a map of the world up and have the students throw sticky darts at it where ever the darts lands is the area we will look at.  This process will happen many times in order to narrow it down form an entire continent to a specific country.  
     Say we have had the kids do this activity and it lands on Iraq or Afghanistan.  We could then take the time to explain in depth what is happening with the conflict with these two places and the United States.  Once we have gone through and talked about this conflict.  I then could have the students go through and create a map that is representing these areas and we could then go through and label the different types of government in these areas.
     I think this lesson would be really fun to do during the entire school year, every Monday we start with the first map and once that area has been selected I will research current events for that area and then create a lesson based on what I find. 

6 comments:

  1. I really like this idea because it gets them involved in events not just in our country but in the world. It's important for students to know there is more to life then what is happening inside their own little community. This idea could also help teach social studies and history as you talk about and research the places on the map each week. You could even have older students do their own research projects centered around one place on the map. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you, I think it is important for students to know what is going on in the world around them in order for them to help be or make the changes it needs. I really liked your idea with the darts! I think that is a fun way for the students to help pick what they will be learning instead of just giving them a topic. I like that you suggested mixing it up and changing the areas that you focus on every Monday. This would make things more exciting and up-to-date.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are completely right. Even in high school I didn't learn much about what is going on in the world. The fact that you would want to teach them about a different area every week is even better. I feel students could learn so much, and we are often neglected the chance to learn about issues among the world. When you become a teacher, I honestly hope you remember this idea, and learn how to implement it in class. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea, Josh! This would certainly engage your students. I do think you might need to reconsider the use of darts. Perhaps using some kind of velcro device would be better. You are going to make a great teacher, Josh! I'm so excited for your adventure into education! Keep up the great work! I'm so very proud of you!

      Delete
    2. Thank You! Yes I did consider making a change to the darts, when I do this for a real lesson I definitely have to consider the safety factors. Thank you for being such a great role model, as a teacher, a teacher which helped me to learn just how i want to teach my students.

      Delete
    3. You are now becoming a role model for me!

      Delete